Australia expected to hit back despite historic Bangladesh humiliation
Australia remains a commanding favourite to level the series against Bangladesh despite suffering one of the most embarrassing Test defeats in the nation’s recent history, with bookmakers pricing Pat Cummins’ side at 1.14 to win the second Test in Mackay.
Bangladesh, fresh from claiming their first-ever Test victory on Australian soil, is a 7.75 outsider with cricket betting sites to complete a stunning series victory, while the draw is paying 15.00.
The odds underline the confidence still surrounding Australia, even after the tourists cruised to a nine-wicket victory in Darwin to take a 1-0 lead in the two-match series.
Australia’s batting collapsed twice in the opening Test, managing just 198 in the first innings before being dismissed for 284 in the second, with Cameron Green’s century and Steve Smith’s scores of 71 and 44 the only significant resistance on a surface that Bangladesh mastered far better than the hosts.
The defeat produced a string of unwanted records.
Australia’s first-innings total was its lowest ever against Bangladesh, while the Tigers’ first-innings lead of 228 was the largest they have ever established against a major Test nation before comfortably chasing 57 for victory.
The frustration boiled over during Australia’s second innings when Smith exchanged words with Bangladesh wicketkeeper Litton Das after the visitors considered a DRS review.
As Bangladesh appealed for a faint edge down the leg side, Smith sarcastically encouraged them to challenge the decision.
“Use it. Go on. Do it. Waste another one,” Smith was heard saying before Das replied, “You bat. You just bat.”
The brief verbal exchange highlighted the confidence running through the Bangladesh side, which refused to be intimidated throughout the match.
Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting believes selectors now have little choice but to make changes before Saturday’s second Test.
Ponting said Australia had failed to win a single session across the entire match and argued there had already been enough evidence before the series began to start regenerating an ageing batting line-up.
“I think it’s inevitable they have to make change,” Ponting said during Channel Seven’s coverage.
“There had been enough evidence for me coming here to suggest that they weren’t going to lose anything by starting that regeneration, by maybe bringing in another opener, by maybe bringing in someone at No. 3. I think that has to happen.”
Australia’s bowling attack also endured a rare off match, allowing Bangladesh to pile on 426 in the first innings before the tourists completed the modest fourth-innings chase with nine wickets in hand.
Despite the calls for wholesale changes and the shock defeat, bookmakers remain firmly behind Australia to bounce back immediately, installing the hosts as overwhelming 1.14 favourites to square the series in Mackay.

